Dirty Bastard Sauerkraut Recipe
Our brewery and taproom is nestled in an area of downtown Grand Rapids just a few steps from a large Polish neighborhood where the kielbasa is magical and sauerkraut is king. In a nod to our hometown, our head chef, Justin, has prepared a kielbasa and Dirty Bastard sauerkraut recipe for you guys to try out at home.
“So, this one requires a little bit of legwork. The first step is finding a reputable source for kielbasa. Here in Grand Rapids, we have many authentic meat counters to choose from; my personal favorite is Frank’s. Fritz runs the place and he’s a real sweetheart. If you aren’t local, head to your nearest trusty butcher or at least splurge on something decent at your grocery store. This recipe is a real banger – enjoy!”
Kielbasa with Dirty Bastard Sauerkraut
Ingredients you’ll need:
1lb smoked kielbasa-1 pound (sliced to bite-size)
2lbs rinsed sauerkraut
1 large julienned sweet yellow onion
1 stick of butter
2 or 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1 Dirty Bastard-12 oz. bottle (find it locally using our beer finder tool)
Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and begin to sweat the onion.
- When the butter and onion begin to brown, add the smoked kielbasa. Keep an eye on everything and keep everything moving so you don’t burn the butter.
- When the kielbasa starts to sweat, cool it down by adding the sauerkraut.
- Add the full bottle of Dirty Bastard into the mix.
- Cover for a couple of minutes.
- Uncover and add rosemary and black pepper (to taste).
- Begin to freak out about how amazing it smells.
- Stir and serve. Boo-yah!
See other recipes we’ve previously shared: