All Day IPA Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
Fresh off his Imperial Stout Fish & Chips fame Mr. Justin Golinski is back at it and ready to share another culinary delight. This time, we’re going full-blown Midwestern on you with All Day IPA Cheese Soup.
A quick word from Justin:
“Few things scream “The Midwest” more than a bowl of super cheesy cheese soup. My take on the classic involves an entire can of All Day IPA, which adds a slight bitterness and tang to the otherwise one-dimensional richness. Finish it off with some crumbled potato chips and you have just out-Midwested this Midwest staple.”
All Day IPA Cheese Soup:
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sized carrots, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- (1) 12 ounce can of All Day IPA (find it locally using our beer finder)
- 1.5 tablespoons Founders Dirty Bastard Stone Ground Mustard
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ounces smoked gouda cheese, grated
- potato chips, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots and leeks, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, 10 minutes. Then, add the flour and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the All Day IPA and mustard and bring the soup to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking, until creamy and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Whisk in the cheese 1 handful at a time until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the potato chips.
- Boom, ya done!
Alright, guys (there’s another bit of Midwestern charm for ya), hop to it! Share photos of your dishes with us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
See other recipes we’ve previously shared: