Among the greatest joys of summer is kicking back with a book and a beer. Ready to be enjoyed poolside, on the beach or feet-up on the front porch, here are a few books we think pair nicely with one of our favorite summertime beers, Rubaeus raspberry ale:
- 36 Hours: USA & Canada by The New York Times. The NYT has been offering up dream weekends with practical itineraries in its popular weekly “36 Hours” column for over a decade. Plan your next long weekend by browsing through this collection of travel tips.
- Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger. Nine Stories is a collection of short stories that includes two of Salinger’s most famous stories, “A Perfect Day for Bananafish” and “For Esmé – with Love and Squalor”.
- Yes Please by Amy Poehler. Amy, one of the most beloved SNL stars and all-around funny chick, offers funny, smart and inspirational stories, lists, photographs and words to live by.
- Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. A hilarious collection of autobiographical essays by one of the funniest, most endearing authors.
- Tripping by Charles Hayes. Haye’s includes fifty narratives about unforgettable psychedelic experiences shared by folks from all walks of life. Included is a bit about the history and culture of psychedelics, too.
- The Stranger by Albert Camus. Set in summertime Algeria, this existential novella explores the absurdity of human existence and challenges societal expectations.
- Beautiful You by Chuck Palahniuk. From the author of Fight Club comes this novel about the apocalyptic marketing possibilities of a new product that gives new meaning to the term “self-help.”
- Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut. Another compilation of short stories (what can we say, they’re perfect for the beach), this one runs the gamut of hilarious to heartbreakingly poignant.
With its sweet scent of tropical fruits, you’ll taste our single-hop ale, Mosaic Promise, before it even hits your lips. We like to call it the art of aroma – and what better way to celebrate it than by sharing a playlist of songs about smells, scents, aromas and perfumes? Crack open a Mosaic Promise, pour it, smell it and press play to enjoy.
For a direct link to this playlist, click here. To follow Founders on Spotify, click here.
Find our other Spotify playlists here:
Mosaic Promise, our seasonal single hop ale, first debuted as a beer to benefit Art Prize, an annual art competition held in our hometown. The label features a stained glass image of the goddess of beer, Ninkasi, modeled after the larger piece created by Kolenda Art Glass that hangs in our taproom.
Ninkasi now lives on as the star of our Mosaic Promise adult coloring pages, available for downloading here. It’s your chance to bring back some of your childhood memories – only now you can enjoy a beer while you do it. So, crack open a Mosaic Promise, bust out the crayons and zen out while you bring Ninkasi to life on the page in front of you.
Download the coloring pages here and keep an eye out for our coloring contest coming up soon!
What’s better than cheesecake and beer? Not much, if you ask us. Inspired by this love affair, our head chef created a recipe that incorporates both of these things into one, magical masterpiece. Our raspberry ale, Rubaeus, takes the (cheese)cake as the star of this dessert. The best part? There is a little bit leftover in the can for you to drink when you’re recreating it at home.
There’s a few things you’ll need on hand before you jump into this recipe: patience, a 10-12″ springform pan, a stand mixer and some fresh raspberries to garnish with. Got it? Good! Let’s go.
Ingredients for the crust:
- 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- .5 cup of packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil or softened unsalted butter
Ingredients for the batter:
- 1.5lbs cream cheese brought to room temperature
- 5 large eggs brought to room temperature
- 1.5 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 tablespoons of poppyseeds
- 4 fl. oz. of Rubaeus (find it locally using our beer finder)
Ingredients for the glaze
- 1 cup of your favorite raspberry jam or preserves
- 4 fl. oz. Rubaeus
Instructions: Continue reading
Join us for June 2, 2016 at for a spring beer dinner featuring dishes paired alongside Project PAM, Double Trouble, Sumatra Mountain Brown, Hop Wampa and Blushing Monk. For the record, that list includes two retired Backstage Series beers, two limited, taproom-only beers and the latest addition to our speciality lineup. It’s going to be a great – and gluttonous – evening.
While we won’t spoil the surprise and share the full menu, we will share that the night will be ending with the finest of cheesecakes made with our Rubeaus raspberry ale. As for what proceeds it? You’ll just have to snag a ticket to see. You can do so here.
See you June 2, 2016 in the Centennial Room!
Ladies and gents, we’re pleased to share the latest event in our Palate Exploration Series: a beer and sliders pairing presented alongside our friends from Duba and Company Heritage Meats! The event will be held here in our private bar and classroom space, The Embassy, on June 30 from 6-9pm. Tickets can be purchased here.
Jeff Duba will be bringing in sliders – one lamb and three beef – from different farms and countries, and we’ll see together how each of the meats pairs with various beers from our lineup. Jeff is hugely passionate about what he calls “craft meats” and we are looking forward to being educated by such an expert. Like each of our Palate Exploration Events, this is sure to be a dangerously delicious evening.
Learn more about Duba and Company Heritage Meats here and make sure to secure yourself a place at the table by purchasing a ticket here. See you June 30!
We’re counting down the days until Founders Fest, our annual celebration of beer and live music! We’ll be shutting down the streets surrounding the brewery, bringing in some high-energy live music, local food vendors and artists – and, of course, will be pouring beer. A lot of it. Advanced tickets are now available for a discounted ticket price of $30 – get yours here.
From the rip-roarin’ country blues of Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band to the soulful sounds of Lee Fields and The Expressions, this year’s lineup is one of the best yet. Hear a few tracks from each of the live acts we’ll be hosting on our stage come June 18, 2016:
For a direct link to this playlist, click here. To follow Founders on Spotify, click here.
Many of us have our moms or mother-figures to thank for introducing us to many of the things we love. This Mother’s Day, we suggest introducing your mom to your passion for craft beer by gifting her with a cheese and beer pairing. It’s pretty simple: three beers, three cheeses and a few extra treats for good measure.
Here’s what we suggest including:
- All Day IPA paired with Farmhouse or sharp cheddar.
- Rubaeus paired with Stilton or Burrata.
- Mosaic Promise paired with Pecorino Romano
- Dried fruits
- Assorted nuts
Jim Vorel of Paste Magazine recently joined us during the weekend of our 15th Annual Black Party, a celebration of our darkest beers. Alongside the winners of our Bring Me to Black Party contest, Jim toured our facility, got to know our team and sampled a few of the barrel-aged beers we’re currently experimenting with. Check out his recap of the weekend, summary of our history and foreshadowing of what’s to come here.
When we set out to brew All Day IPA, we had one goal in mind: create a beer with the full-flavor we love, but with a low enough ABV that we could keep our senses sharp. We wanted a beer that would be the perfect companion to our adventures, anything from conquering a long hike to relaxing around a campfire. Something we could tuck into a kayak, beach bag or tackle box and crack open during one of those moments that makes life so sweet.
We’ve partnered with Camp Illustrated (AKA Matt McAdow), a California-based artist, to illustrate these moments for our Session Boldly artwork. Matt, who travels throughout California and the Pacific Northwest in a VW bus, turns outdoor photographs into simple illustrations. Through his art, he hopes to “get people psyched to get outdoors.”
The illustrations Matt created for us are largely inspired by the photographs shared with us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook showing the adventures All Day IPA has become a part of.
To reward those who share photographs with us, Matt will also be illustrating a few All Day IPA photos tagged with #SessionBoldly on Instagram and Twitter. Share your photos with us for a chance to have yours illustrated! Here’s Matt working on the first of these, a photograph shared by our Instagram pal @iskivolkl:
Join us as we tantalize and educate with two new Palate Exploration events!
On April 28, join us in the Embassy, our classroom and training bar, while we host The Cheese Lady and learn all about the amazing things that happen when cheese and beer come together. We will be pairing a beautiful spread of cheeses, covering as many flavor and texture possibilities as we can, along with five of our beers. There really are few things better in life than beer and cheese.
On May 19, the team from Duba and Company Heritage Meats is helping us explore what could be called “craft meats.” We’ll be pairing four different mini burgers, one lamb and four beef varieties, with a variety of beer styles. Will beef cattle raised in different locales and under different conditions result in a slider that pairs with different beers than the others? There is really only one way to find out and we’re incredibly excited for this new experiment.
The Palate Exploration is a unique pairing concept that allows you to discover your own palate preferences and later bring that knowledge into your own kitchens, or as a guide when looking at a restaurant beer menu. Beer and food are two of the most incredible parts of life when enjoyed separately, but my how the game does change when they are allowed to work together.
Secure yourself a seat at the table by snagging tickets to either event here. We can’t wait to explore with you!
Here to share another one of his culinary delights, our head chef, Justin Golinski:
Looking for something a lil’ sweet, a lil’ spicy, a lil’ smoky? Look no further! May we present Mustard ‘n’ BLiS Maple Wings! A perfect complement to the grilling season. Warning: do not pair these babies with your favorite waffle recipe. Hahaha! Who am I kidding?!
Mustard ‘n’ Blis Maple Glazed Chicken Wings
Directions: Continue reading